The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Offset and Sizing-GVR4 specific. Pictures helpful

mean_green

So +35 is the lowest offset we can run safely on our galants? If I was to go with a 17x8in rim?

What does adding a 1/4'' backspacer to the rears achieve?

turbowop

Adding a spacer would only push the wheel further out of the wheel well. The lower the offset, the more the tires stick out. It's not really a safety issue, just aesthetics.

mean_green

Well I dont mean safety as in for my life but safe as in not causing more harm to my cars bushing and bearings then necessary.

I understand a little more with the fact that the more postive camber you run the more the rim sticks our from the centerline or whatever so its going to be harder to get a wide tire to tuck under there w/ out hitting and rubbing all over the place. Im moving farther and farther away from the idea of stretching any kind of rubber /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/keek.gif since I want the protection from the potholes and the most traction I can get. -Man that sounded dirty lol /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif And I want to keep the sleeper look since thats what made me love the baby evo look, so fender flares are kinda out, unless I can get funding to someday make a beast. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Mark- How much of a drop did you go on your G and do you have any rubbing/hitting w 245/40/17 and +35. Did you have to invest in some rear camber adjustment to fit those in the rear w out problems or do they work in the back at that size?

I appreciate all the noobie help, we all gotta start somewhere. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

turbowop

I'm not sure how much my car is actually lowered. Since its on coilovers, I just lowered it down to what I thought looked good and left it. The rear uses adjustable upper control arms because once you lower it past a certain point, the factory camber adjustment doesn't adjust far enough to bring camber back out to spec. Also, since I run coilovers, the wheel/tire combo fits without any front strut interference. I don't remember whether or not that combo would be an issue with the factory struts. Coilovers allow for a wider combo.

I don't have any issues with rubbing at all.

kartorium

Quoting slugsgomoo:

they're definitely 8" wide, and they're definitely not +38 or +35 since I have stock front suspension and they don't stick out at all /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

I could be misremembering the exact offset but given that they hang out the fenders without 2* of camber /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Why don't you just look at the wheel instead of guessing based on the possibility of tweaked suspension or fender or whatever. If its a 4x114 and 8" wide then its a +35. No doubt about it unless someone was into the wheel enough to have something custom made.....but IIRC those wheels came from DFR's car? If so, yes they are a 35, not really sure why you'd think they are a 42 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Last edited:

turbowop

Werd. If those are DFR's wheels, then they're a +35, Sluggs. Maybe you don't notice them sticking out in the front as bad because your car doesn't sit as low? You also posted a pic of one of your back wheels, which doesn't suffer from the same problem as the front does when it comes to getting wider combos to tuck.

slugsgomoo

odd, I'd have to look, but then i'd have to go out and unbury the car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

he told me they were something higher, which made since with them not sticking out- especially since the +38 evo wheels seem to stick out a ton on 1g's and gvr4's with the 5 lug swap /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

maybe i'm just going crazy, and really, I haven't exactly had the car out in quite some time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif I'd post front wheel gap but I don't have any with weight in the front of the car, so I can't. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

H05TYL

google zilvia.net wheel fitment thread and you'll find a ton of examples to show you can fit just about any width/offset wheels to anything if you try.

cars are made of metal and metal can be bent/stretched/cut and welded.

turbowop

Sure, we could all run 24" dubs on our cars also. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

Anything can be done with money, but not everything should be done just because it can.

Last edited:

H05TYL

who said anything about 24's?
and who said anything about spending lots of money?

I just like wheels that fit, rather than sitting all sunken in like stock wheels do.
this is what i'm talking about.
swift2.jpg

turbowop

Sweet, that's a Subaru. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/goyou.gif Not exactly the same dimensions as the cars we're working with as far as clearances. Parts and body panels are also easily available for cars like Imprezas and Evos to fit wider wheels/tires. Our cars are a bit more difficult and I don't think we'll be seeing too many people going in and bulging out their fenders or welding on additional panels to fit wider stuff.

The 24's thing was a joke. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Last edited:

CP

Quoting turbowop:
My wheels are a +35 offset. The camber in the front is -2 degrees.

Same here.

FCR

Quoting mean_green:
^ Ya thats the same link I posted earlier that I've been refering to as well.

I want a really aggressive look with the offset though, close to the look drift cars achieve. I know some might not care for this but Im just figuring what might work and look good. I love the FN01R-C's with a really low offset and similar rim styles.

Maybe you need to consider this if you want that aggressive look like turbowop said

Quoting turbowop:
You won't be able to achieve the look you're going for without fender flares. The offset that makes the spokes angle like that is too shallow for our cars.

Last edited:

mean_green

^ Nice, at least I get to see a few more pictures of that interesting Galant.

Im with H05TYL in rim choice and what I would like to accomplish, he hits it spot on. But the thing that comes into play is if Im going to be able to work something out to have low offset work. I dont really want to change the look of the body with flares and that seems like alotta work. But at the same time I REALLY want a car to be able to pull that look off and make it worth while, which my Galant is that type of car to me.Hmm

Decisions Desisions /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif

H05TYL

Quoting mean_green:
^ Nice, at least I get to see a few more pictures of that interesting Galant.

Im with H05TYL in rim choice and what I would like to accomplish, he hits it spot on. But the thing that comes into play is if Im going to be able to work something out to have low offset work. I dont really want to change the look of the body with flares and that seems like alotta work. But at the same time I REALLY want a car to be able to pull that look off and make it worth while, which my Galant is that type of car to me.Hmm

Decisions Desisions /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif

You can 'pull' stock sheet metal a long way ~2" is possible on most cars, just work slowly, bit by bit, a heat gun will help minimize damage to the paint (though, if you pull that much there's going to be some).

I'd suggest getting a spare front quarter panel, fitting it to the car and having a go on that before starting on the good ones.

Also, if what the guy wants to achieve isn't your cup of tea, and you can't help, why comment?

turbowop

Having a wheel fit correctly and look good is what we all want. All I'm saying is that getting a wheel/tire combo with the offset and "dish" he wants isn't doable without spending a substantial amount of money. Flares, bodywork, and suspension modification to make such a wheel work isn't cheap. You make it sound as if it's as easy as rolling the fenders.

Paint damage. lol. No big deal. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

H05TYL

it's not much harder - same principal, but you just keep going - you could stretch all four an inch or so in a day quite easily (rears get tricky after that because of the door).

Haven't had a chance to do my vr4 yet, but i've done a few other cars.

9" with +30 offset will fit in the rear with no mods at all, so rolling the lip up to match the curve of the guard would clear a 9" +15 which will give the look he's after.

The front will require more work, depending how much camber he wishes to run.

RedTwo

You could just get handy with some sheet metal like BMW did with the M3 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
click
click

Their guard is longer either side of the wheel arch than our cars but we have that nice almost vertical panel most of the way up. In my mind it doesn't seem too difficult /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

LGIM0052.jpg

While they could have a tad lower offset, it really isn't that hard to have wheels sit right on a VR4. Usually you just need to dial in a bit of camber on the front.

17x8.5 +40 Rays Gram Lights 57S

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned