The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Intermittent jerking/bucking while driving?

kitcho

I've been having intermittent problems with my car bucking back and forth while driving at normal driving speed (40-60kph). It has happened to me twice in the last two week and is very noticeable. After fairly short, erratic bursts of power loss and car bucking it subsides and my car drives normally.

Searching here, people here mentioned the possibility that it's the transfer case. I had my mechanic who is familiar with dsm's checked it just a couple weeks ago and found no issue (no fluid leak from the yoke). Should I double check the fluid level?

On another site people mention that it could be a coil pack, spark plug, spark plug wire, or injector problem. How do I go about narrowing it down? All I have is a logger and keydiver chip that shows me knock.

thanks

SmoothCustomer

I agree about the ignition stuff. You narrow it down by replacing all of it because it's cheap and could probably use it anyway. Also I would bet your problems are actually just a boost leak.

Specter

Could be your fuel pump too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Mine used to do the same, turned out to be a dieing fuel pump. Start with the usual things, check the fuel pump flow, check your spark plugs, check for boost leaks, check for any torn vacuum pipes etc

kitcho

Weird.

I did a quick log this morning, only to find that my front o2 sensor is showing 0.00v all the time for some reason. I guess I'll start with that.

Thanks for the replies as well

broxma

Also, BOV. In particular if you replaced it with an aftermarket one with an adjustable spring.

Start with the easiest to check and move from there.

/brox

Sounds like a miss IMO. Check ignition components and definitely do a boost leak test first off. Very well could be a leak for sure. Boost leak test is your cheapest, check that first. Then look at your plugs.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned