The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Can't seem to find specific efficiency numbers of both the stock & evo IC.

cupajoe

I'm trying to figure out what both the stocker and evo fmic efficiency ratings are? I'm guessing ~16psi the stocker well start to heatsoak? And then the evo fmic trying to figure out if I want to spend the money on that when I'll most likely have to upgrade sometime next year. Whats the hp rating on the evo 8/9 fmic?

From now to when I leave for basic, I'm going to max out the 14b which from my understand is about 17-19ish psi. Think the stocker fmic will be able to keep up? I know the evo fmic can handle that ammount of boost but I'm going to be going to a 50trim setup after basic so I don't want to waste that money if I'm going to have to get something bigger.

What are your $.02?

Thanks, Joe

The stock IC was unefficiant from the factory. More like an inter-warmer. Do a few hard pulls then get out and feel that baby. It's hot! I see no problem with a evo intercooler taking care of your needs with a 50trim. So I'd say go for it.

Last edited by a moderator:

cupajoe

Haha, yea that fmic is a joke. Well I can pick up evo 8/9 fmic for ~$100 buck so I might do that. I'm just wondering if its possible to hook up without hardpiping. I know i'll need to rotate the driver side upwards but do you think that the passanger side would hook up to stock piping for the moment?

Brunoboy

Stock couplings and piping is to small in diameter forthe evo ic and the passenger side ill not reach

broxma

Even though the Evo IC is a tube/fin design it should handle WHP numbers upwards of 300-350. A top of the line Bar/plate core measuring 3x20x10 has an approximate flow of around 1077 cfm. If we conclude that the Evo IC is around that measurement, which is a guess on my part, and has an overall efficiency of about 65% the top of the line, we get 700cfm. This is simply a flow rating but does statistically correlate to cooling ability. Asking what the HP rating of a given core is, is like rating a cars power by g/sec2. There is a correlation, but it isn't direct.

In short, it should flow upwards of 550-600 cfm pretty easily.

/brox

cupajoe

Thanks brox for the numbers, Hmm, well my overall hp goals are 400-450ish. If I'm going to have to build my own piping for the evo fmic I'd rather just get a ebay core which is much bigger and fills in the bumper well. So maybe ill just get a core and get the endtank modified and make some piping so I don't have to upgrade again.

broxma

You don't seem to understand cores very well which puts you in the group with just about everybody so don't feel bad. A similar sized Ebay core and a Evo core will do about the same amount of cooling. Almost every ebay core made, the ones that sell in the 100-200 dollar range, GhettoChrome, Mishimoto, etc, all trace back to one of a few core manufacturers in China. The cores are mass produced under the leanest of quality standards for export to the gullible US buying public. They have uneven fin density between bars, generally use the thinnest top and bottom cap they can find to cut down on cost, often the braise on the fins isn't even complete, with the fins separating directly from the bar under pressure, etc. The bottom and top cap and the weld attaching them to the endtanks is what really holds the core together. I am yet to see any of the cores come with anything more than 1/8 sheet which I can bend holding the ends with my baby hands.

I am not sure why the automotive public sees fit to rag on the clearly sub par quality of Chinese mass produce auto performance parts in general, but willingly buys up these piece of junk intercoolers without a word. They almost exclusively come with universal pipe kits, which are the thinnest walled aluminum pipe they can get. No one wants to weld that crap. You end up making some convoluted coupler pipe snake thing to get the IC connected and use 3 times as many couplers as is required, each one a failure point. You still need a BOV flange put on no matter what you do so there's another 50.00 down the drain. If you do spend the money to get the pipes welded up at a shop the cost skyrockets to around what the cost of a decent kit would have been anyway.

I know these ebay things work better than stock. However I have seen hundreds of them, and not been impressed by any of them. I have seen them bowed out from 20 psi, I have seen the bars separate from the fins, I have seen powerstroke diesel fin densities in one row and 14 per inch on the next for 2 inches and then 4 per inch the next 6, I've seen one row have the inner fins offset so far it blocked flow through the external channel entirely, I've seen external second row fins in a straight line with no turbulence at all. If you want to get a halfway decent core, get a Treadstone TR-8 or TR-10. I am not paid by these people or care if you do, but their cores are vacuum braised, have regular fin density, and have a 3/16 top and bottom plate. They get their cores from a manufacturer in China but get them to a very good specification. A TR-10 would be more than enough for your goals. When you get the pipe kit, think about if you plan on having it welded up or not. If so, DON'T get the thin wall, shiny, oooh, it looks so good, polished aluminum crap they sell on ebay. Just go to a place that has the mandrels and straights and use a decent wall unfinished aluminum. Keep the couplers to a minimum. In the long run, it will be about the same price and you'll have a better product.

Don't cheap out on your front mount. Don't get one that is just "Good enough". It should be able to handle more than you throw at it. FMIC's need to be thought of like injectors. You always calculate for some overhead. Think the same way here.

/brox

cupajoe

Your right I'm no guru at this fmic core stuff, is why im on forums /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. From your post my understanding is buying a ebay core is like buying an ebay turbo which we ALL know is the one thing you don't do. I didn't realize that they were that bad, just noticed alot of people were running them. So thank you for the very informantive post I will not be buying an ebay core.

Last night I was thinking that I might just modify the spearco setup to fit the gvr4. I can't find any real numbers on hp or flow rate of that core but I need to sense I really don't want to upgrade again.

BrandonEchols

I'm currently contemplating the core that Perrin makes for the Evo 8/9...not because I need it right now...I may never need it, but I want headroom on an upgrade like this, and I don't want to have to source a core and buy/make piping more than once if I can help it.
Apparently it fits in the stock location with no cutting to the Evo bumper, and it's quite an upgrade over the stock Evo unit (also made here in the US).
I'd look into it if I were you.

Last edited:

stealthtt24

Broxma, what IC would you recommend then for someone that is looking at 400-450 whp? I have a GReddy 31V but its way too small for my goals and the EVO seems to be the same as well.

slugsgomoo

my oil cooler is larger than the stock GVR4 front mount. Honestly, at stock boost levels a 14b will heatsoak the factory FMIC completely after 2-3 pulls. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned