The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

AC Removal...

raptorWagon

I've searched, my question is am I missing something as far as trying to pull the compressor? All lines are disconnected, only things left in the engine bay is the condenser and compressor. I read someone had removed it from up top, but how? Would removing the pulley first of all things made it easier? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

That's all I have for you guys at this time. I also discovered in the process I need a new radiator, stock one is starting to leak on the bottom, oh well got to pull it anyway to get to the condenser.

cspetros

Have you removed the mounting bolts for the compressor? I remember removing one or two of them from under the car.

Here's the manual page about it:

Here's a picture of it being removed (not sure if this helps at all /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif)

raptorWagon

Guess I forgot to add that in my first post. The compressor is free of everything, lines , bolts, connectors. I tried to bring it the way the FSM told me (like your pics, i have the same manual), but it catches on the master cylinder.

i have to do this job soon... have you tried removing the motor mount and tilting the engine back?

remove trans and driver side mount, gently jack the motor up from the pulley side? here is a pic of my 91 galant vr4 and 91 talon nonABS turbo. still alot of crap in the way. pull back the injector harness and pull the spark plug wires /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

talon
galant

well hell i was hoping the talon would have more of a gap, yep mitsu is still full of /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

DR1665

This was how I removed the compressor from one Galant and installed it in the other. It takes some finessing, but that *is* how it comes out. You have to sort of snake it up and out, shifting it around as you bring it up to get the pulley around this or that. A PITA, but worth it for AC.

raptorWagon

^ Well then I'm on the right track then. Hopefully when I put the alternator back there it won't be as difficult.

Polish

Quoting DR1665:
This was how I removed the compressor

+1

It takes some choice words but it comes out of that spot.

raptorWagon

Done! had to unbolt the Fuel injector harness from the intake manifold and unbolt my apfr from the rail, then it came right out. The braided line from the rail to afpr was in the way. Also got the AC fan out, slipped it between the front end of the car and the intercooler.

chucklesas

Well, since you guys are talking about alternators in that location, do any of you know if an alternator will be able to go in/come out the same way as the a/c compressor?

DR1665

If I might offer this one small suggestion, if you're not going to re-install the AC, it would be a nice gesture to hang onto the parts in case someone here wanted to put AC in or repair their system. Just sayin'. Might not be an in-demand part right now, but someone will be looking for those parts some day and you'd really be helping them out if you had those lines lying around. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

raptorWagon

Oh yes I know, all these parts are going into 623/1000 out in NY /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif, so I made sure to be gentle pulling it out and retaining all the hardware.

Terry Posten

I sold my complete AC setup in the FS section in about 4 hours. These parts are in demand.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned